Sunday, March 27, 2011

I "like" you

I have 14 "likes" on my facebook page.  I don't know if that's "only 16?" or "wow, 16", but I''m thinking it's a small number judging from my other friends online.  Generally I've clicked the "like" button, because the product has some level of interest to me (medium to high), and I like to get my insider information and get deals or freebies if and when available.  (I love deals and freebies!)  Does everyone else do the same?  How many likes is the standard?

Going back to lodging, out of my 14, one of companies that I've been watching is Shangri-la Hotels and Resorts.  Why?  I believe out of many of the hotel chains, they have actually embraced social media.  (many of the big(est) hotel chains are absent - as I've mentioned before)  They've recently become more interactive, and involved.  Their facebook page is a decent one with over 100,000 fans, and lots of interesting information about the goings on with different properties and company news and promotions.  Their flawless professional photos are there but they also have fans post their own photos of their stays, and are running a contest right now for photo submissions (for the Shangri-la Hong Kong) which I'm sure will entice people to reply since the prize is a vacation including airfare to their Tanjung Aru Resort in Malaysia.


Their interaction is good, usually most comments are answered, I notice more so recently.  And I really like that their individual properties contribute gourmet Asian recipes and pictures every so often.  Plus they have a birthday deal for dining on one of their properties for Facebook fans (50% off for 2 people - here is their landing page for more info).

However in the future I hope to see them add more user generated photos of their different properties, and have individual locations join them, (it's nice to have even more insight into their world - and it can only grow and strengthen thier brand) add a section where fans can make reservations quickly and easily, and to see their fan base grow.

I like them, do you?

2 comments:

  1. I think I only have 2 "likes" on my profile. I resisted the "fan page" movement when it started awhile ago - I didn't like that you couldn't list any interests without "liking" the corresponding page. I also don't like the fact that it's public for anyone to see. However, I'm starting to realize that there can be benefits to "liking" particular pages that you have an interest in, as in the case of the Shangri-la.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, maybe after this your "likes" will grow. I think mine probably will as well now that I know there's even more companies on board the facebook trend.

    ReplyDelete