Sunday, March 13, 2011

Press Release - American Airlines aid to Japan



I haven’t been able to sleep the last few days over the devastation in Japan, and have had my TV on, glued to the Japanese 24 hour local coverage news channel.  I’ve just donated to the Red Cross Japan relief effort myself and happened to come across this information.  The following press release is from American Airlines in response to the 8.8 earthquake and following tsunami in Japan.  They seem to be one of the first companies in the hospitality industry to come forward offering aid, but I hope that more follow suit.  It’s a nice incentive for those donating anyways, and strengthens loyalty, while reinforcing their status as a socially responsible company in the travel sector.

*
AA ADVANTAGE MEMBERS CAN DONATE VIA AMERICAN AIRLINES TO AID RED CROSS


American Airlines
4333 Amon Carter Boulevard


Fort Worth, TX 76155
Media Relations 817-967-1577
MediaRelations@aa.com

  • AMR Corp, Parent Company of American Airlines and American Eagle Jointly with the American Red Cross, will be providing aid to those affected by the earthquake and tsunami in Japan
  • AAdvantage Members can help by donating to the Red Cross to provide shelter, food and other assistance to earthquake and tsunami victims
  • Members can receive a one time award of 250 AAdvantage bonus miles for a minimum donation of $50 or $100 or more to the American Red Cross Japan and Pacific Tsunami Fund
full details on Red Cross website here

“Help is urgently needed in Japan.  By partnering with the American Red Cross, we can ensure that contributions will support timely efforts to provide much needed assistance to the millions of people affected by the earthquake and tsunami,” said Kurt Stache, American’s Vice President – International.  “We invite our customers to join us in supporting the American Red Cross.  We are relieved and grateful that all of our Japan-based employees are safe and accounted for, but others living in Japan need our help.”

further details on AA's press release here


Other related links:

Red Cross Canada Asia Pacific Fund
Foreign Affairs and International Trade - Travel Advisories

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tracie,

    I remember hearing about this earthquake Friday morning on BBC and having been watching the news unfold ever since. I hope you and your loved ones are getting through this ok.

    I've heard about a lot of different organizations offering aid, so I think the international community is responding well. I read an interesting article here: http://mashable.com/2011/03/12/hello-bar-japan/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+%28Mashable%29&utm_content=Google+Reader about how you can help bring traffic to the Red Cross website to make a donation. I couldn't quite get the code to work on my blog, but maybe you could give it a try?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I have some good friends in Japan, I haven't heard from them and I worry as well. Stay strong and do your best to remain positive and proactive, I hope your friends and family are safe. I commend you for your very timely and relevant post. It's good to let people know they can do something to help. I will pass on your message :)

    Y-Green

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the support! : )

    @Victoria - I will definitely try to post that up in the next day or so (fingers crossed) hope it works. Thank you for the comment and info.

    @Y-Green - I hope that your friends are safe as well, and that you are able to get in contact with them soon. Thank you for your comment and help passing on the info, those affected are going to need all the help that can be given.

    ReplyDelete