Sunday, April 3, 2011

To blog or not to blog? That is the question...

Throughout the last few months I've come to the conclusion that a lot of companies out there in the hospitality world just don't blog.  I suppose it's relating to the transparency issue, and not wanting too much information out there.  Or maybe they just don't understand the potential of online posts.  Is there just one big obvious reason that I'm totally missing?  I've been able to find some great examples of companies that are blogging, and blogging well, but far too few for the number of companies out there, small local, and international alike.  The sad thing is, because our industry is built on using a personal touch to serve, and building relationships I think many are missing out on some great opportunities to let our customers/guests into our world.  (and some missed opportunities for a little bit of self promotion, and brand awareness)  
However, having said that, I know that social media is changing, and changing fast.  Companies are jumping on the Facebook and Twitter bandwagons, maybe blogs will be the next thing. 
My suggestions for those in the industry who are contemplating starting a blog...

  1. Find a style that's right for you, depending on who you think your audience will be, use language that they understand.
  2. Find things to write about that are relative and interesting.
  3. Keep in mind that our industry can be sometimes a bit stuffy, remember your etiquette
 If you have an interesting example of a blog, or write one yourself, would love to hear about it.

Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Tracie! Twitter and Facebook are just so "cool" now that blogs have been an after thought. My biggest guess is that blogging takes more time and care then 140 character posts. I will definitely follow your three suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is all about how much time it takes to keep a blog going, but I think there is huge potential for the hospitality industry, if they jump on the blog bandwagon. If I find an interesting example I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete