Sunday, February 27, 2011

So, I'm a germaphobe, you would be too!

I've been working in hotels, and in the hospitality industry a while so I can't help but have slightly quirky habits when I travel.  After all, I know what goes on behind closed doors.  I also have too many friends in airlines, tour companies, other hotels, cruiseships.  We have our dirty little germy secrets. 
 
Crazy(?) things I do when I travel...

I always bring my own travel pillow and blanket
I can't tell you how many of my friends have told me stories of movement they've seen under a blanket, sometimes with one person, sometimes with two.  Generally the pillows and blankets aren't sent to laundry unless visibly dirty.  Enough said.   

I never rest my face on my armrest or press my face on the chair in a tourbus.  
Bus seats are not cleaned very often, nor are the armrests. People touch goopy things when sitting around for hours and smear them places they can reach.

I always bring slippers, when staying overnight somewhere
Please don't walk in bare feet.  Carpets are cleaned maybe once a year, tile floors aren't mopped or washed every time.  Many people are really messy if they know that someone else is going to clean up after them.  I've seen lots of mess on floors, all manners of dirty clothes, and food, pets and small child messes.   

Beware the floral bedspread... and bed
If it's not white and crisp, I'd rather freeze with only a sheet.  Patterned bedspreads typically aren't/weren't sent to laundry unless visibly dirty (that takes a long time if it's patterned sometimes).  I also fully open my sheets to make sure there's no hairs in the made bed towards the foot (who wants other peoples hair in their bed?!?) check for bedbug splatter on the wall behind the bed and on the corner and side of mattress (it looks like small dark brown splats).  Trust me, you don't want to be bitten by bedbugs, or take them home with you, (super gross, and so hard to get rid of) Plus you really DON'T want to see your mattress move in the middle of the night.

I bring antibacterial wipes and wipe handles, faucets, switches and toilet
This people think I'm crazy for this, but those people have never seen a blacklight audit.

Do you do anything quirky like me?  Or am I totally phobic?

On that note, hope you like my videos.  I'll be doing a 4 part series on a hotel room blacklight audit, though part 2, 3 and 4 are yet to come.
Part one is pretty tame, glad I didn't find anything...  

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting video! I was very impressed with your ability to speak so clearly while multitasking (holding the camera, black light and concentrating on the important information about the test).
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mrktgmike,
    sorry about the late reply, thanks for the kudos.

    : )

    ReplyDelete