Sunday, February 20, 2011

How do you pick your vacation spot?

It's my favorite time of year... the time to pick my vacation spot.  One of the best perks of being in the hospitality / tourism industry is the opportunity to travel on a pretty small budget so as long as you're a little flexible with your travel dates.  So, the question now is where to go?   How do you pick a place to go if you can only choose one for the entire year?  (Any pointers?  How do you pick your vacation spot?)  I’m having a really tough time picking a destination this year, and have been doing a fair bit of research, one thing I’m thinking is that I’m going to keep it within the continent.  To help me with a decision, I’ve compiled a top ten list of cities to visit in North America, would you pick the same #1?

#10 ORLANDO

I've never been to Disney anything in my life so I'm thinking go bigger than Disneyland, and head for Disneyworld.  There’s so many things I’ve found you can do there, from waterparks, to shows, and Epcot it’d be a one stop destination.

#9 SAN DIEGO, CA
Sunny skies and 70 miles of beaches (can't complain!), aquariums, zoos, and all sorts of water sports.

#8 LOS ANGELES, CA
Hollywood, Sunset and Venice beach, shopping on Rodeo Drive, riding the roller coasters at 6 flags, and of course a stop at Disneyland.

#7 MIAMI, FL
I had a dream about riding on an airboat through the Everglades and have thought about it evern since.  Would love a walk around Miami Beach and the amazing nightlife wouldn’t hurt.

#6 ATLANTA, GE
This city has so much history, civil war museums, Martin Luther King Jr. Historic Site, and things like World of Coca Cola, and arenas where the Atlanta Braves, Thrashers, Hawks and Dream play (that would be for my husband, he really loves his sports).

#5 SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Riding the cable cars, shopping in union square, taking a walk through Fisherman’s Wharf, and visiting the Golden Gate Bridge.

#4 SAN ANTONIO, TX
The Alamo, strolling the beautiful River Walk, the many theme parks, and the chance to watch a Spurs game.

#3 MONTREAL, QC
Beautiful architecture, Saint-Denis Street & Saint-Laurent Boulevard, POUTINE (love it!)  

#2 TORONTO, ON
This one is mostly to visit my good friends that recently moved and was thinking about combining my top 3 since it's somewhat in the general area.  My husband does really want to go see the Hockey Hall of Fame though, and of course I really wouldn't mind a visit to the Path. (their main shopping area)

#1 NEW YORK
I think this one is my frontrunner, I need my own picture (with me not photoshopped in) of the statue of Liberty and the Empire State building.  I hope to catch a show or two on Broadway, and am definately  going to take in some of the museums.  Last but not least, I'm a die hard shopper and can't wait to excersize my credit card arm, and am really looking forward to wandering around the different neighbourhoods.



Then it'll be a loooooooooong waiting game till I step on the plane.  At least it's something to look forward to...

2 comments:

  1. Great spots Tracie! I'm not much of a traveler except for going to Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cuba in the last 9 years with work. Other than that I've been a hobbit and just stayed in Victoria. Then I met my fiance 5 yrs ago and our adventures began.

    From your list we've been to 3 of your spots you suggested. We did a road trip to Disneyland twice and stopped in San Francisco. Fun riding the trolley and seeing the big stores along the streets. Our latest trip which we are going in March will be your number 1 choice....NEW YORK CITY! Can't wait to be standing in Time Square.

    A place I would suggest and I just came back from last week is Maui, Hawaii. Nice and relaxing. Beautiful lava rocks on the beach and it's not raining :)

    Thanks for sharing your choices and I hope you get to experience them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I have forgotten Hawaii!?!? Good suggestion, I'll have to consider that before I book. Now I'm REALLY torn, beautiful tropical beaches or big city...
    Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete