Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ooooh Risque!

It's been up since 2006, but I came across the blog for the Yaletown Opus Hotel the other day.  It's actually an  interesting read, filled with (controversial and questionably inappropriate for the industry?) pictures/situations, (see?!), and videos, that would NEVER be acceptable in a big chain hotel and probably be shut down in a day.  But luckily the Opus is an independent boutique style property, so no walking on eggshells there.  And I'm happy for it, because it kept me pretty entertained while reading.  Having worked in hospitality, I couldn't help but literally LOL over some of the scenarios since they've actually happened to me or people I know, with a little more or a little less drama.  In fact, I'm sure that there are so many people out there that can one up any of the Opus' or fellow bloggers comments/scenarios.   I do wonder though, if there are previous or current guests that follow the blog, how they feel about possibly being the inspiration for a post...

They're catering to the lifestyle and interests of its patrons fairly well I think, and albeit a smidge risque at times, they still inform readers about the property, things around the city, and provide insight to the internal workings of the hotel and industry.  Plus, particularly within the industry, they're really tapping into the "something different".

This particular post that I added to my Digg account, is one of a series of 5 written through the eyes of a fictional (?) guests, publicizing their newly renovated rooms "chicklit" style.  I love the concept, though not too sure how I feel about the writing style of the personas.

Thoughts?

PS Happy Valentine's Day!  I'm sure the hotels will definately be busy!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting find that blog. It gives me a completely different view of the Opus than I had before. I thought it was an uptight boutique hotel, guess not and guess that's one of the values in social media marketing!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing, and couldn't have been more wrong.

    ReplyDelete